Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Ancient Corinth

When I was planning what we wanted to do during our time in Greece, I was thrilled when I discovered that Corinth was less than a two hour drive from where we were staying. The Apostle Paul lived in Corinth for around a year and a half and later penned two letters to the church there, I & II Corinthians. Since the late 1800's large portions of the ancient city of Corinth have been revealed during archaeological excavations, and that work continues today.


Before walking through the ruins of Corinth, we visited the small museum located at the site where we saw many artifacts recovered from the city and surrounding area.


Heading outside, I couldn't believe that I was about to walk on the same paths that Paul walked nearly 2000 years ago. I was thrilled to see so much of this ancient city appear before my eyes.


The largest building on the site is the Temple of Apollo, the Greek god of music, truth, healing, poetry, and more.


Leaving the temple, we wandered the dirt paths through the city trying to imagine what it was like in its prime.



On our drive to Corinth that day, we read Acts 18 which gives an overview of Paul's time in Corinth. Of particular interest were verses 12 through 17:

12 While Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews of Corinth made a united attack on Paul and brought him to the place of judgment. 13 “This man,” they charged, “is persuading the people to worship God in ways contrary to the law.” 14 Just as Paul was about to speak, Gallio said to them, “If you Jews were making a complaint about some misdemeanor or serious crime, it would be reasonable for me to listen to you. 15 But since it involves questions about words and names and your own law—settle the matter yourselves. I will not be a judge of such things.” 16 So he drove them off.17 Then the crowd there turned on Sosthenes the synagogue leader and beat him in front of the proconsul; and Gallio showed no concern whatever.
The place where Paul was brought to be judged was the Bema or "judicial bench." We were able to see it, read about it, and walk on it. I cannot explain how it felt to literally see Bible verses come to life in such a physical way. Having now experienced this, I can only imagine how it would feel to visit Israel and walk in Jesus' footsteps.


A verse from Paul's letter to Corinthians is immortalized on the platform of the Bema where he stood.


Here's Austin standing atop the Bema, Amazing! I wanted nothing more in that moment that to call my Daddy and say, "you won't believe what I'm looking at right now." (For those who don't know, I'm a preacher's kid, and I can't tell you the number of times I heard my Daddy preach a sermon from one of Paul's letters. I may have gotten to walk a few of Paul's steps here on earth, but my Daddy gets to talk to him any time he wants in Heaven.)


The Bema was located roughly in the center of the city, so there was still much more to see.


The site is still being excavated by archaeologists, and it was so exciting to watch them sifting through buckets of dirt. What an incredible job!


What an exciting day and incredible opportunity as a family it was to visit a place straight out of Biblical history. It's one we'll never forget! Thanks to our friends for inviting us to tag along on their Greek vacation.



No comments:

Post a Comment